Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's not how you look...

"It's not how you look on the outside, but what's on the inside that counts." For some reason this saying came into my head this morning, and I decided that it was a good topic to put down in my BLOG. I have spent time talking about the state of the world, the state of religion and other things, now I want to talk about something a bit more personal.

A few years ago I was showing a colleague pictures from my Birthday celebration. He commented on the people at the table and wondered what it was about me that attracted such beautiful people. I realized that everyone at the table was attractive. It doesn't mean that everyone at the table was skinny or anorexic or what society calls "Super Model beautiful," but people that radiated beauty in such a way that it came through in who they were even in the picture.

Over the last 16 ½ years I have spent a great deal of time learning about who Rick is and what is important. I say 16 ½ years, as my journey began the day I got sober. Clearing away my past (but NEVER forgetting) and finding faith in a power greater then myself (which I call God for lack of a better term) helps make up who I am, what I have and continue to become. It's not been an easy road, but growing and changing never is easy. I have changed my conception of God over the years, and have learned that God provides all that I need including the tools to deal with life on life's terms. About ten years ago I was going through a crisis. I can't tell you what it was about, but I can tell you the lesson. A dear friend asked me if my God was big enough to handle the situation. I looked him in the eye and said "No." He looked at me and said, "Then you need to get a new God." I will never forget those words. It was at that point that I realized that my concept of God can grow and change as I grow and change.

As a result of this work and gaining a better understanding of who I am I believe that I attract those people that are on the same path. They are learning and growing and becoming whatever it is they need to become. I stated in previous posts that I have let people go in my life for one reason or another, but I think that the most compelling reason I have moved on without certain people is their lack of growth. It's important that I do whatever I can to continue to grow as a Human Being. If we don't learn the lessons we are destined to make the same mistakes over again. I learn many lessons from the people in my life. Sometimes these lessons are just "don't do what they did," but they are lessons all the same. If I allow myself to be quiet and listen I am amazed at what I hear.

I guess the bottom line is that we attract people that have something that we want or need. People are placed in our life for reasons that may not be revealed at the time, but if we stop, listen and actually hear what's in our heart the lesson is there. That was a greater answer then the one I gave my colleague, but it was that question that made me think. Once again someone teaching me without even realizing there was a lesson.

I continue to do this and am not perfect in anyway. The difference is that I am willing to do what ever is needed to be responsible for my actions, learn the lessons that are presented and hope that everyday I am being kind to God's Children. Listen to your heart, learn the lessons life has to teach and remember to laugh everyday!

Peace!

No comments: